4/03/2013

Keep going

 (picture taken from here)

In the last year of my life, I was lucky enough to do a lot of things I never did before. Like interviewing people and then writing articles about them. Or taking pictures of bands and artists in improvised fotoshoots. I had a job interview with five people sitting in front of me, asking me questions. I flew to another continent all by my own and spent ten days without anybody by my side. I called complete strangers and had to ask them for stuff, even though I hate talking to people I don't know on the phone. To be completely honest, I'm a huge wuss. Even random shit scares me out of my wits! Still, I managed to do all of those things, however scary they were.
There was one quote, that really helped me do all of this, and you can see it above. It's a verbal kick in your backside, a slap in the face of your weaker self. Even though Jillian Michaels is a personal trainer, most known for being the one coaching the candidates on NBC's "The Biggest Loser", and I wouldn't last 10 seconds under her tutelage, I agree with her on this one rare occasion. We (or at least I) tend to give up too easily. And it doesn't matter whether that means sports or careers or relationships or playing Xbox. As soon as it gets hard and you need perseverance, I am usually out of the game. That's why I was always bad at sports, that's why I suffered endlessly when I wrote my bachelor thesis. But sometimes you need to get through the really hard part, before it gets good. Like how you, when you grow your short haircut out, need to get through the part where you can't do anything but wearing hats a lot, because your hair looks shit whichever way you comb it. You need to dare, you need to go for it. Fix your eyes on the goal, put on the weirdest hat you can find, and don't give a toss about the whole thing. It may be tough and scary as fuck, but - let's face it - even if we don't achieve our goals in the end, we'll at least get a good story out of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment