3/15/2013

Pumpkin-Spinach-Feta-Pie


So I thought a lot about what my first “real” entry on this blog should be. And because I want you guys to like me, I thought I would share my best recipe with you. Because everybody likes people who share, and everybody likes food.

A few months ago I discovered phyllo pastry in my supermarket and decided to try it out. It is a bit like puff pastry but much, much thinner and not as greasy. Since I really got into spinach lately, I invented my own recipe and it turned out great. More often than not these “I’m the next Jamie Oliver”-moments don’t turn out as well as you want them to, but sometimes you hit gold. 


What you need:




500g fresh spinach, washed thoroughly

1kg pumpkin (try butternut or cheese pumpkins)

2 onions

feta cheese

white wine

phyllo pastry



You should start by pre-heating the oven to approximately 180°C. Chop up the onions into little bits. I’m never that thorough with this particular task to be honest…


Once you’re done with the onions you should get started dicing the pumpkin. Take a really sharp knife to do that and take good care of your fingers. Pumpkin is really hard and slippery at the same time and it can be a little tricky to get the rind off. (By the way: how awesome is the colour of the pumpkin?!)



Now you heat up a large frying pan and roast the chopped onions gently in some olive oil.


Add the diced pumpkin bits until it all starts to brown slightly. Then you drown the whole shabang in some white wine. Let simmer for a few minutes.


Add the spinach. If it is fresh, it will take up a lot of space in the beginning, so if you want to make it easier, you can throw it into boiling water for a few minutes before you add it to the pumpkin. Because once it has been boiled for a few seconds, it will collapse into a third of its original size. I took the hard way and stuffed it into the pan with raw power. Once the spinach has collapsed and the pumpkin has become a little soft (this happens fairly quick) you can season it all with some salt, pepper, maybe soup stock or garlic. If you use garlic though, be reeeally modest with it. If you use too much the whole thing will only taste of garlic. Which is generally a good taste, but not what we are aiming for today.


Next, you need a large baking dish. Take the sheets of phyllo (they are thin as paper, so be careful!) and lay them out, so that at least half of the sheet is outside the dish. Do a lot of layers.





Take the pumpkin-spinach-mixture and fill half of it into the dish. I always try not to incorporate too much liquid from the pan, since it will make the pie extremely soggy. 



Take the feta cheese and break it into little bits over the mixture. Then add the rest of the pumpkin and the spinach and, if you feel like it, another layer of feta cheese.


Fold the phyllo sheets over the spinach-pumpkin-feta-filling. It’s okay if it looks a bit messy, it actually looks prettier if it is. You can crumple up a phyllo sheet and spread it on top to increase the effect.




Beat up an egg with a bit of water and brush the phyllo leaves with it. 



Then you put it into the oven for about half an hour until the top is crispy and the insides have become soft and delicious.



And that's it! It's a great and easy way to feed 2-4 people quickly and it is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! I made it for a few vegetarian friends once who loved it. And if you need to, you can make a vegan version if you leave out the feta and the beaten egg.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

No comments:

Post a Comment